Margit-szigete / Budapest, Hungary
Otherwise known as Margaret Island, this park land area is a 225 acre, 1.4 miles long island in the middle of the Danube in central Budapest. The island is mostly covered by landscape parks, and is a popular recreational area perfectly situated between Buda and Pest. Its medieval ruins are reminders of its importance in the Middle Ages as a religious center. The island was dominated by nunneries, churches and cloisters until the 16th century. During the Ottoman wars the monks and nuns fled and the buildings were destroyed. It was declared a public garden in 1908. The island was called Nyulak szigete or Island of the Rabbits in the Middle Ages, and it received its current name after Saint Margaret (1242–1270), the daughter of Béla IV of Hungary who lived in the Dominican convent on the island.